Sunday, June 27, 2010

Maia Sings!

This is a big shout out to a good friend Maia Von Lekow, who was featured last week in a Guardian piece by Daniel Metcalfe! I was lucky enough to catch her set three times in february this year. It is soulful, funky and so smooth. She and her funky basist can keep me on the dance floor all night!


I say she is on her way to fame and fortune! Here is what Daniel says about Maia and the Nairobi music scene:
           I had another gig to catch. I drained my Tusker Malt and taxied to the other side of town, past the grey business district, to the jacaranda-lined avenues of Karen (after Karen Blixen, author of Out of Africa). Taxis are easy to find in Nairobi and generally safe, but they're not cheap. A tenner down, I arrived at a modest-looking entrance to one of the city's most relaxed nightspots.
           Talisman on Ngong Road is a loungey, woody restaurant and bar, where sun-beaten blondes sipped gin and tonics and well-to-do young Kenyans basked on low-slung sofas. Here I discovered Maia von Lekow, a twenty-something Kenyan artist, the daughter of Tanzanian jazz groover Sal Davis. A quarter Arab, a quarter Luo, and half European, Maia fuses her musical influences like a lounge chameleon. She sings in English and Swahili. "Bit of a difficult audience," she confided to me on a break. Barefoot, she soon roused them with a rendition of Peggy Lee's Fever. To Maia, the biggest problem is the lack of instruments. "Everyone's trying to write something, but it's running so fast. There are so many drummers, but no drums."
            Maia, who lived for years in Australia and Ireland, performed in February's Sauti Za Busara festival in Zanzibar and on 4 July is set to play at Blankets and Wine – a once-a-month event in north-west Nairobi.
Here is a link to some of her stuff on Myspace. Here is her profile at Busara Music Festival.

Love it.

2 comments:

  1. Good day I am so thrilled I found your site, I
    really found you by accident, while I was
    researching on Google for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say
    thank you for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time
    I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up
    the excellent work.

    Here is my website ... www.dailymotion.Com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for some other wonderful post. Where else may just anybody get that type of information in such a perfect
    manner of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look
    for such info.

    My website; Psn Code generator

    ReplyDelete