Monday, May 24, 2010

Boondocks!

If you haven't seen this fantastic cartoon yet I think Episode 1 of the new 3rd season is a fine place to start. I can't get enough of this show!

">

I love the characters. The two main characters are brothers. Huey, a precocious, politically enlightened 10 year-old, strives to overthrow the sources of oppression and manipulation ever-present in society. His (twin?) brother Riley, a perfect foil, is a wannabe thug, completely self-absorbed and unaware. The rest... well, take it from me, it's golden.

I'm not sure how long this clip will last on youtube; I would imagine even if the creators do not mind, the networks probably want to control the dissemination of the show, so enjoy it while you can!

I wonder how businesses value an episode of a tv show after it has aired once. Is is close to worthless for a network? I suppose many shows these days are available online after they air on TV and there are ads on the websites that generate some return. If it is legal to record a show for personal use later, then what is the difference if instead of being private on our computers, it is public on youtube? This way we only need a few copies.

The argument would likely turn to DVD sales. Well, if people still want to make money by selling tangible media, then they ought to offer something extra-tangible, like a t-shirt or a poster, along with it. Otherwise, it's not likely that anyone beyond the biggest of fans will buy it, is it? The plagiarist buccaneers cannot be stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment